Dedicated "to the glory of God and the service of mankind," St. Luke’s Episcopal Health System started in 1954 as St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital. St. Luke’s soon made headlines with such milestones as the first successful heart transplantation, the first artificial heart implantation, and the first laser angioplasty procedure.
These and other advances would instill St. Luke’s and Texas Heart® Institute (THI) in patients’ minds from around the world as THE heart center at which to receive world-class care with a heart.
The hospital’s original charter for a 180-bed nonprofit general hospital was secured in 1945; by 1947, the bed number increased to 300. During the planning stages for St. Luke’s and Texas Children’s Hospital, which opened the same year, board members agreed to build adjacent facilities, establish shared administrations and maintain separate boards. This joint operation, which developed highly respected high-risk pregnancy and neonatal intensive care programs, continued until 1987.
An additional affiliation was added in 1962 with the chartering of THI. Under the direction of Denton A. Cooley, M.D., St. Luke’s successful cardiovascular surgery record and THI’s advances against cardiac disease have brought international acclaim. St. Luke’s and the Texas Heart Institute have performed more than 100,000 open heart procedures, more than 200,000 cardiac catheterizations, and more than 25,000 cardiology interventions as an alternative to bypass surgery. In 2011, for the 21st consecutive year, THI at St. Luke’s was ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America’s best for heart care.
In 1971, a 26-story patient tower was constructed. The O'Quinn Medical Tower at St. Luke's opened in 1990, earning the distinction of being the icon most associated with the Texas Medical Center.
In February 1997, the Episcopal Diocese of Texas established St. Luke’s Episcopal Health System, a Texas non-profit corporation. This re-organization expanded the healing ministry of the Diocese through the creation of St. Luke's Episcopal Health Charities (SLEHC). A grant-making public charity, SLEHC fulfills its charity care obligations and faith-based mission. To date, the Charities has awarded $85 million through more than 1,600 grants to 365 nonprofit health service programs in Southeast Texas.
Through its relationships with Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, St. Luke’s participates in the training of residents rotating through the hospital. Approximately 60 percent of the 600+ members of St. Luke’s active medical staff have teaching appointments at one of these medical schools.
St. Luke’s primary focus continues to be providing quality, patient-focused care. Physicians in 23 clinical services covering more than 40 specialties are supported by some of the most advanced technologies available. This breadth of medical resources means that St. Luke’s is equipped to handle a wide spectrum of patients, from the low-risk obstetrics patient to the patient with multi-system problems requiring the expertise of an acute-care facility. In 2001, St. Luke’s cared for approximately 32,879 inpatients and received more than 220,000 outpatient and emergency room visits. More than 4,000 staff members and 450 volunteers provide direct patient care and support services in a healing atmosphere of compassion and concern.
In 2000, the opening of the first St. Luke's Community Emergency Center® expanded St. Luke's Emergency Services to further support its mission of service to the community. We have grown to be the largest provider of freestanding emergency services in the Greater Houston area. St. Luke's prides itself in bringing Texas Medical Center quality emergency care to neighborhood communities 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays.
St. Luke's Diagnostic & Treatment Center - Kirby Glen, which opened in early 2003, offers St. Luke's excellence and free parking in a convenient location. Kirby Glen includes radiology, cancer treatment facilities, lung therapy, sleep apnea diagnostics, and travel medicine.
Also in 2003, St. Luke’s The Woodlands Hospital opened as part of St. Luke’s Episcopal Health System. The Woodlands' facility provides the compassionate care people have come to expect from St. Luke's. The staff delivers comprehensive healthcare in state-of-the-art facilities that include an emergency department, newborn and infant nurseries, diagnostic imaging services, labor and delivery rooms, family lounges on each floor, and more.
In April 2004, Baylor College of Medicine and St. Luke’s Episcopal Health System entered into a new affiliation agreement that significantly expanded St. Luke’s relationship as Baylor’s private adult affiliated teaching hospital. While Baylor and St. Luke’s have been affiliated since September 1961, the new affiliation agreement resulted in a strengthening of their shared programs to forge a new model for healthcare delivery.
In 2005, first hospital in Texas and the Southwest designated a Magnet hospital of nursing excellence by the American Nurses Credentialing Center — 2001, 2005, 2009
In October 2008, St. Luke's Sugar Land Hospital opened as part of St. Luke's Episcopal Health System. The five-story, 200,000 square foot, 100-bed facility offers inpatient and outpatient services, and features 64 med/surgical beds, a 16-bed intensive care unit and comprehensive diagnostic and imaging services. This facility provides medical and surgical clinical services, including emergency care, intensive care and diagnostic and interventional cardiac catheterization labs.
In 2009, St. Luke’s Lakeside Hospital in The Woodlands, Texas opened its doors specializing in cardiology, sports medicine, orthopedic and spine care.
In 2010, St. Luke’s Hospital at The Vintage opened in Northwest Houston offering a full spectrum of inpatient and outpatient services.
In 2011, St. Luke's Episcopal Health System acquired a majority interest in Patients Medical Center in Pasadena. St. Luke's Patients Medical Center, a 61-bed acute care hospital, offers impatient and outpatient services.